Friday, January 8, 2010

Final Update

IMG_0451

We finally met with the neurosurgeon this week and he was not at all concerned with the fluid in Gideon’s head.  He said no one would ever consider surgery for that small amount of fluid.

YAY!  God is good regardless of the outcome, but we are thankful Gideon is doing so great.

The doctor did go on and on about what a cute kid Gideon is.   I think that makes it official since a doctor said it.  He may have even put it in his chart somewhere.

Then as we were leaving, we got on the elevator with a young man.  He was staring at Gideon and finally asked where he was from.  I told him Ethiopia and he very excitedly told me HE was from Ethiopia.  He said he was looking at him and thinking he had “Ethiopia color”.  It’s funny how many strangers have looked at him and asked me if he’s from Ethiopia.  They just know.

We’re all very pleased with the official word from the doctor.  You can see above that Gideon is, as well.

Oh, and he’s dressed in his white Ethiopian outfit because we celebrated Christmas yesterday since Ethiopia celebrates on January 7th.  I tried my hand at some Ethiopian cooking and it turned out pretty good.  We had Doro Wat and Injera.

I love my cookbook that Tony bought me for my birthday last year.  It’s called The Soul of a New Cuisine by Marcus Samuelsson.  It has some wonderful looking recipes in it (the ones we tried last night were great), but it also has beautiful pictures and stories of his travels in Africa.  I just sit and read it.  He was born in Ethiopia and adopted and raised by a family from Sweden.  As an adult and a chef, he wanted to learn about Ethiopia’s culture.  He shares his story in the Preface of the book and it’s just beautiful.  He ends up finding out that his biological father is still alive when he was 35 years old and gets to go meet him and his 8 half brothers and sisters.  {tears}  I think I love this book so much because it’s not just a cookbook.  It’s a story of a man’s journey that touches my heart.  With every recipe I try, I will be thinking of so much more than some ingredients off the shelf at the store.  I will be thinking of the lifestyle of the people who make these recipes and use these ingredients that are so exotic to me everyday.  If you get this book, please don’t skip over the Preface. 

8 comments:

Sara K. Parker said...

First of all, thank you, Jesus, for such great news! I am so glad that Gideon is perfectly healthy! WHEW!

Second of all, I NEED that book. I am going to buy it. I have a $75 gift card to Barnes and Noble burning a hole in my pocket.

And, finally, how did the injera turn out? Did you have to ferment it and such? I have tried to make injera three times, and I feel like giving up...

Tara said...

praise GOD, glad things are going so well!!

Mandy said...

Thanks Sara and Tara!
Sara - the injera recipe in that book uses club soda for bubbles so you don't have to ferment it and yogurt to give it the sour flavor. We did not think it was as sour as injera in Ethiopia, or as spongy, but everyone really liked it and want me to keep making it. It was super easy!

Tisha Alexander said...

I am so thankful that everything is fine with Gideon.

I have had that cookbook in my wishlist on amazon for over a year. I am so glad that you have reviewed it... now it is time to get it!! Also thanks for the recipe.

"Are These Kids All Yours?" said...

PRAISING GOD FOR YOUR WONDERFUL NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So excited!!!

That sounds like a great book! Got teary eyed just reading your post.

Jenny R said...

Great news! He is so so cute!

Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord for good news! And cute kids!=)

The Hull's at #4 said...

Mandy,

So thankful for such a great report from the neuro guy! I loved the picture!! Thanks for the info on the cookbook, I love the story! Coming to Houston the first weekend in Feb. hope we can meet.