Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Attitude Adjustment

My kids have Hebrews 13:5 memorized:

"Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, 'I will never leave you nor forsake you'."

How can they not have it memorized? It's the verse I tell them every time they start complaining about not having something they want. It's my proof that I am right and they are wrong, because I have scripture to back up what I say. That's a great feeling for moms being able to back yourself up with God's Word, instead of just saying, "because I said so". I can tell them, "God said it, not me, so you can't argue!"

heh! It shuts them down them every time!

But, this time it was my lesson. And a more appropriate scripture verse for me would probably be Phil 4:11:

"Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content."

Excuse me?

Did that say in whatever situation I am to be content?

But what about when I don't like the situation?

Here comes the lesson.

I was leaving swim lessons with the kids at 3:00 in the afternoon. In Texas. In June. When I got in the car - the hot car - the temperature caught my attention. It was 98 degrees outside. Immediately, I started complaining to God in my head. Not really complaining. More like griping, and complaining, and whining.

God, why do You have me living in Texas? I do not like being hot. I don't like to sweat. I have to spend half of every year trying to figure out how to stay indoors. This really stinks! But - I don't want to move. So, if You have to put me in Texas, why can't You make me like it??? I have friends that say they love the heat. You made me - why couldn't You have made me like the heat when You knew I was going to live in it?

Then, I start thinking of all the things I complain about (mainly in my head - to God) and it's a long list. Yardwork, exercising, pretty much anything outdoors while it's hot. Notice all of these things involve sweating. Gross.

But, I have friends that talk about loving all of these things. How can they love these things?

Then, I think - Maybe they don't love these things. Maybe they choose to love these things that they can't do anything about anyway. Maybe God would like me to choose to love the life He has chosen for me.

I pray for God to use me to glorify Him. I want to surrender my life to Him. I try not to hold on too tightly to material things. But, how is God supposed to work in my life when I am so busy complaining about what I don't like? What about all the things I love? Why can't I focus on those things? God wants me to be thankful for the life He has blessed me with. I know how I feel when I do something nice for my kids and they start finding things to complain about.

From now on, I choose to love summers in Texas because that is part of the gift God chose for me. I am thankful for the life He has blessed me with. I don't want to waste my time thinking of how He could make it better.

There are many, many verses on being thankful. Just one to think on for now is I Thess 5:18:

"give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."

1 comment:

mandi said...

great post! there are so many things we choose to put in front of thankfulness. it reminds me that god doesn't just 'make' certain things happen (like a genie!) but that he allows situations where we have to develop the character that we are so in need of.