Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Take Me Out to the Ballgame










Well - it has started. Baseball season. We started Opening Day this past weekend with a parade, and then Tate had his first game Saturday night. We had a good weekend. Busy, but good.


I kind of have mixed emotions when it comes to sports. I don't enjoy rushing through meals to get to practice, or making all of our plans around games and practices. Not to mention keeping up with all of the equipment. Oh - and the stinky uniforms I get to wash! But, I really enjoy watching my kids have fun and they learn some invaluable lessons playing team sports. We had a great experience with that from Tate's first game. He had an issue that he was really struggling with after the game. He was truly crushed and heartbroken. I told him that I couldn't fix it for him, but that he could spend some time talking to God about it. He did. For a long time. Then, when he came out of the room he said he felt as if nothing had happened. It was over. He told us that what he learned was that God hears his prayers.
I could have told him that.
I have told him that.
It's a lesson he had to learn on his own - and he did.

He is learning some big things on the baseball field. I am proud of him. These lessons make sports time well spent for our family. In moderation, of course.

No comments: